Abby's Road

Welcome to Abby's Road
An insight into my journey to the 2012 Olympic Games

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Throwing, training, and truit tart oh my!

I headed to Tucson a couple of weekends ago for my first outdoor meet… my first meet period in over 3 months. I had so many different emotions going through me and so many thoughts going through my head, but over all, for the first time in awhile, I was really excited about competing and seeing how far I could throw. The trip ended up being fantastic. I had the opportunity to spend some time with my parents who actually made the drive all the way from San Antonio!! They are so amazing and support me unconditionally! It was also really great to see my old training group (Loree, Kevin, Vikas and John). I felt good about my performance at the meet. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to get out there and throw farther, but with everything that has happened this year, I felt that it was a giant step in the right direction. My confidence in my training only grew stronger by my improvements in the ring. I had a season best of 17.04 on the second day of competition. It was actually a 2 season long best. I hadn’t throw 17 meters in competition since 2008(sad, but true) Now I know that the process of an injury is much more about the recovery of the mind more so than the physical side. I did feel I missed a big opportunity that day. I had not felt that much energy and that fresh in so long. Plus the addition of a pre competition Americano took me to another level.. Unfortunately, since I was not used to it, I could hardly contain myself. I was a wreck. Thankfully, I was able to start getting a hold of myself in the 3rd round, but I felt I learned a good lesson in getting to know my body in a high intense situation. I felt I had much more in the tank, but never quite was under control. It had certainly been way too long since I’d felt that way, but I am so very happy that the feeling was back!

It’s been 3 months since I came back to Texas and I could not ask for more in my training or from my coach, James Parman. He has helped me fight through some lingering injuries as well has help me get my form in the ring. My support system has been there right when I have needed them and I believe I would have gotten lost along the way some time ago if not for them. I know that great things are to come and I really look forward to the hard work that it will take. All the blood, sweat, and tears and the character building along the way!

One more note. I do have a life outside of the ring(believe it or not!). So I will share a bit of my recent adventures. Well, more so to brag about quite an accomplishment. Being the end of May/beginning of June, it is the season of graduations. I recently had a friend graduate(Lana) and could not think of what to get her for graduation to say 'job well done'… then suddenly I had it…. A FRUIT TART!!! Somehow this makes sense in my mind as a gift. So three hours later there it was….



The miracle you have just observed is 100% from scratch!!! I even went out and purchased a special 'tart' pan.. I didn't even know they existed, but now I'm a proud owner. Dont' ask me why I can spend 3 hours baking and be completely happy, yet spending 30 minutes cooking a meal is a chore! Of course I had to have assistance. Well, I think in the over all scheme of things I was more of the assistant to pastry chef extraordinaire, Leigh!


Happy training!

1 comment: