Abby's Road

Welcome to Abby's Road
An insight into my journey to the 2012 Olympic Games

Sunday, November 28, 2010

wanting the need

I was asked an interesting question last week. "How did you know that you were capable of even trying to make the Olympic level when you weren't throwing well, what made you continue?" I had never really thought about it. I never really thought about what kept me going when most people and many people have given up from the places I've been. I was surprised that the words just shot out of my mouth. You see, I have had the dream of being an Olympian since the age of 5. I remember watching the opening ceremonies at home and laying in front of the TV enamored as I watched the gymnastics competition. I could feel my heart soar and I felt so alive during the time the Olympic would be covered on TV.  There never seemed to be an option in my heart, being there was what I needed to do. Originally I wanted to be an Olympic gymnast... laughing aside, it really was my dream. I had to change my plans of how to get the the big show, but the dream always remained that I NEEDED to get there. Since that young age, I have always felt a deep burning desire in my soul to be at the games. It was not a question of want, it has always been a necessity that I experience that in my lifetime. This is who I am, not what I hope to do.  It feels like it's been a part of me since I can remember and I must continue this journey until I find my way there. Even though I have never been there, the desire  to be there would best be described as the feeling of going home. Revisiting the place you grew up and being in the environment that helped to shape and define the person you are today.

So my advice to those who are struggling with having a desire in your heart and no clear way of getting there or idea of how to see it through, never stop listening to that voice. Following a dream that radiates throughout your soul is how you find who you really are and what you truly are capable of. No matter how difficult it may be, there is a reason it is there and the journey of going after it is when we find ourselves. Don't let anyone or anything tempt you away from it or tell you it can't be done.. even if that someone happens to be you. I feel there will be peace found when we all follow that voice and embrace the experiences that coincide the journey.. 

So I will continue my journey in hopes I find my way home and my wish is that you find yours too!

2 comments:

  1. ayyyyy abbs! you are such a good writer. this was a very inspiring entry. on a lighter note, when can we watch real world? -Clarissa : )

    ReplyDelete