Abby's Road

Welcome to Abby's Road
An insight into my journey to the 2012 Olympic Games

Thursday, March 4, 2010

USA Indoor Championship Recap... re-posted

So I was lazy and didn't want to give two recaps.. it's all about energy conservation! So I posted this which is from my email newsletter updates. I have been sending out email updates for the past 6 months or so if anyone is interested in reading some of the older ones. just let me know. Here is the update I just sent out on the USA Indoor Championships........


Hello!
I wanted to give you all a recap of my USA Indoor Championship meet. Let me take you back to the week leading up to the meet. My loving and supportive parents drove in from Texas on Monday so that we could visit and spend some time together before the meet. Tuesday morning I had a throwing practice and nothing much was out of the ordinary. I remember finishing my last throw and going over to talk to my mom. That's when the week took a weird turn. I noticed both her sock and shoe were off and she was examining her foot. I told her that it was time to go and she then looked up to me and said that her foot felt "funny" and she "thought" that she might have done something to her foot. I, having no medical experience or much knowledge, decided to take a look. It was pretty clear, as it would be to any layperson, that my mom was missing something, something very important. There was a gap missing in the back side of her ankle. During my mom's awalk around the track she somehow managed to severely injure her Achilles tendon. For those of you not familiar with that tendon, it's what connects basically all of your leg function into your foot so that you can walk. Once you rupture it, even partially, walking is no longer an option. It was clear at that time that my mom's track career was in jeopardy ;o) But for those of you who know my mom know that she is such a brave woman and such a fighter. Sometimes a little too stubborn. I realized immediately that she needed to see a doctor. That's when the previously mentioned stubborn factor comes into play. She attempted to brush it off and say that she would be fine. She encouraged me to just go on to the lifting portion of my workout. Even though she was in pain and worried about her leg, she would not show it and did not want to interfere with my training. Obviously, I would have none of this. My dad and I forced her to go to the hospital and it was confirmed that she had ruptured it. They put her in a soft cast and sent us on our way. During the three hour wait in the ER, I began to not feel so well. It felt like the onset of the flu. I knew that this was going to be an interesting week! Thankfully, the injury did not have my mom in too much pain and even though she tried feverishly to rebel against the crutches, she gradually adjusted to them and was able to move around better. The rest of the week was very stressful for me. I worried very much about her and my cold was getting worse. I actually think I got another cold on top of the first one! When it rains, it pours! I finally made it to New Mexico and was able to watch my roommate, Loree Smith, dominate in the weight throw. She had her top championship finish and a near personal best. I was very fired up to finally get to compete. I didn't care about what had or hadn't happened in training or doing that week. I knew that if I executed that I could have a great meet. I woke up that day and felt good I had the same nervousness that I usually get for big meets. Warm ups went good and it was finally ready to compete. I had a couple of throws that I believe would have been my best of the year, but couldn't quite get a whole throw together. I gave it my all last Sunday, but it wasn't quite enough. I did walk away with a good feeling. The last year and a half has been very mentally draining for me. I finally feel I am gaining my confidence again and ready to make a statement! I finished in 6th place at the meet. I feel that considering the injury to my back as well as the lack of consistent training due to the dramatics from my back, I am happy with that performance. Dont' get me wrong, it made me sick to lose. I hate losing. I think the reason I had peace with the results is that there was a very strong feeling inside that told me soon, I would be the victor! I'm very excited for the outdoor season as well as the years to come. I will be back in Texas the first part of April. I will be competing at Texas Relays on Saturday, April 3rd if anyone is interested in coming to watch. I'm not too sure the rest of my outdoor schedule at the moment, but the USA Outdoor Championships will be at the end of June.



I want to thank all of your so very much for all of your support. I particularly would like to give a special thanks to Mr. Charlie Schuchardt and Mr. Tim Horny as well as the rest of the Antonian Alumni Association. I can never thank you all enough for all your support and belief in my abilities! I look forward to making you all proud!



Here is a clip of me throwing at the meet. This is the throw I felt could have been the best if I could have gotten it off my hand.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/830184379/56574a6ef409cef9773f4371d596342b



Until the next time,

Abby


PS. My mom is scheduled to have surgery Tuesday(March 9th) to repair her Achilles. It was a partial tear and the surgery will help it to heal faster and get it the closest to its original state. After all her rehab, she should be back to her normal, active self!

No comments:

Post a Comment